Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. *Queue love songs, balloons, teddy bears, and chocolate and reservations for 2 at a fine dining establishment* Better yet ditch the idea of waiting for a table at a fancy restaurant or catching a movie in an overcrowded theatre and opt for a more unconventional date based on the ABC Date Night Challenge. Here is a list of dates you can try inspired by the alphabet. These dates can be done alone or with someone special.
- A: Aerial yoga. Aerial yoga looks like it would be so much fun but I am afraid I might fall and break my neck.
- B: Beach. If you’re lucky enough to still have warm weather and a beach, take advantage of it! Most Americans would be willing to trade places with you in a heartbeat.
- C: Cooking class or cook a meal at home together.
- D: Dancing. This can be done at home to your favorite slow jams or go out to a popular night spot and dance the night away.
- E: Enjoy some ethnic cuisine or sample an exotic delicacy. Head to the nearest foreign food market and pick up some exotic delicacies like escargot or order some take out from somewhere like a Lebanese restaurant. Discover a new dish together.
- F: FroYo: Create your own or head to your favorite FroYo shop and enjoy your froyo with some convo.
- G: Garden Party! Attend a garden party solo or with your special someone. The city of Atlanta has a nice one planned this year at the Atlanta Botanical Garden.
- H: Hot Stone Massage: After my glorious massage in Mexico, I will find any reason to get another one. Valentine’s Day for the win. This can be a solo date or a date night with your sweetheart. Either way you will feel like a million bucks after your session.
- I: Ice Skating: Woo your boo with your stellar moves on the ice or maybe you might even bump into that special someone while in the rink.
- J: Jump from an airplane: This one is for all the daredevil couples out there.
- K: Kinky Game Night: Turn your favorite games into a kinky showdown after dark. Parents put the kiddies to bed. Pull out the cards for strip poker and get out the Twister mat for a twisted good time (preferably naked!)
- L: Love Lunch: No time for date night? Pack a love lunch equipped with your special someone’s favorite meal and a cute love note to spice up the one hour break and show you care.
- M: Museum After Dark: Museums in the city are known for throwing some awesome shindigs after the general public leaves for the evening. Check to see if your city is offering a V-Day party like the one at American Museum of Natural History in New York City.
- N: No Technology Dare: Leave all technology at home and do something you’ve always wanted to try without interruptions.
- O: Opera concert. If you’re into classical music, consider heading to your nearest opera house to enjoy some beautiful arias, duets and choruses to celebrate the day of Amore.
- P: Indoor picnic. My hubby and I did this last year for V- Day and it was very fun and romantic!
- Q: Quiet evening at home: Maybe you’re not into the whole Valentine’s Day phenomenon. That’s ok too. Spend the evening relaxing alone or with loved ones watching your favorite rom/com.
- R: Recreate your first date: What better way to celebrate your love than to recreate the first time you went out. Personally I would just revisit the locations of the initial date just in case the first date was kind of a bust.
- S: Stage play: What’s Valentine’s Day without The Vagina Monologues? It’s like cupcakes without icing! Well those are just muffins and still as good. You get the gist.
- T: Tango Lesson: Learn the art of Tango, the dance of love, on the day that celebrates being in love.
- U: Underwater adventure. Go deep sea diving. I hear its an exhilarating experience. Remember to take your GoPro camera to capture the moment.
- V: Valentine’s Day Gala: Lots of churches and other organizations choose to host galas to raise money for their organization or charity on V Day. So grab your tux or your gown, get decked out, and party with your sweetie or your friends for a good cause.
- W: Wine Tasting or Whiskey Distillery tour: Go to the site where your favorite local wine or whiskey is made. Pack a dinner or try the onsite restaurant for great pairings.
- X: EXplore: Discover a new neighborhood in your city and head to the next town over and hit up the local hot spot. Or my friend suggests that couples should explore each other’s bodies.
- Y: Young In Love: Create a date reminiscent of young love. Create your own Valentine’s day card, get your sweetie their favorite gift or treat, go to your favorite diner. Share a bowl of spaghetti or a milkshake.
- Z: Zip-lining: Nothing says I love you more than being connected together wearing a harness and zipping down a steel wire with the fear of falling into the jungle or water below. Everyone knows its true love when you are willing to possibly die together! *insert sarcasm here*
It really doesn’t matter what you decide to try this Valentine’s Day as long as you spend some well deserved time loving on yourself or the one you adore.
Which date night idea would you try? Let me know in the comments below!